Kill the Cancer.
Kill The Cancer.
Prostate Cancer & COVID-19
Like most hospitals across the U.S., Maimonides Medical Center is prioritizing resources to care for COVID-19 patients. Ordinarily a 710 bed teaching hospital, Maimonides has temporarily surged to over 1,400 beds, including 400 ICU beds in response to the pandemic.
Measures are being taken at Maimonides Cancer Center to provide a safe space for patients to receive the cancer care they need. During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, we encouraged many patients to receive their care at home through Virtual Care, or delay their non-urgent visits to the Cancer Center. As the city recovers from the pandemic, we will welcome our patients back to the Cancer Center with new safeguards in place while continuing to offer the improved convenience of Virtual Care visits when appropriate.
- All staff are wearing face masks and appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Our staff observes rigorous self-monitoring procedures every day, including temperature checks.
- We will maintain a physical distance of 6 feet at all times, except when a procedure or examination is required to be performed.
- We have spaced our appointments so our waiting rooms are not full. We request that you arrive on time to help.
- Patients are asked to wear a mask to the practice. If you do not have a mask, we will provide one for you.
- We request that you arrive alone unless it is essential for someone to accompany you. For patients who require a caretaker, one healthy adult may accompany the patient. Visitors should wear a mask to the Cancer Center – we will provide a mask if needed.
- At your visit, your temperature will be checked, and you will be asked if you have a fever, cough, or chills. If you have a fever (100F or above), we will ask you to go back home, and we will monitor you with Virtual Care visits or reschedule your appointment.
- We will ask you to wash/sanitize your hands upon arrival and upon leaving our practice.
- Our premises are cleaned frequently throughout the day using an EPA approved disinfectant.
Extraordinary Precautions & Measures So You And Your Family Can Feel Safe During Your Visit.
Virtual Care visits are an option, with phone or video options, along with regular in office visits.
Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our patients and staff. If you have questions about your visit or would like to reschedule an in-person or Virtual Care visit, please call us at 888-662-3627.
Did you know we also offer a Rapid Assessment Service?
COVID-19 Interview with Dr. David Silver – Chief, Division of Urology
What is Focal HIFU?
High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) is a form of ablation that uses energy from high-frequency sound waves to destroy cancer cells.
Focal HIFU is the latest innovation in this technology, allowing the treatment to be very precise, zeroing in on just the cancerous tumor.
This state of the art technology results in fewer side effects by selectively destroying the cancer cells within the prostate while leaving the healthy areas of the prostate intact and functional.
First HIFU Patient on the East Coast - Pasquale Santoro
Fewer Side Effects
Personalized Treatment at the
Maimonides Prostate Center
Our specialists use minimally-invasive, robotic technology to surgically remove the prostate. This advanced technology enhances precision and leads to better outcomes. Learn about prostatectomy.
We offer several different radiation therapies, including internal radiation (brachytherapy) and external beam radiation, including 3D conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT), intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT). We’re among a few centers nationwide offering an injectable form of radiation to treat prostate cancer that has spread to bones.
These options include androgen deprivation (hormone) therapy and chemotherapy. We also offer immunotherapy for cancer that has spread to other parts of the body and doesn’t respond to other treatments. Learn about these therapies.
The Maimonides Prostate Center
“Maimonides is at the forefront of minimally invasive, multidisciplinary surgical and medical care, offering men facing diagnosis of prostate cancer the most advanced technology and the most personalized and customized treatment options available.”
David Silver, MD
Chief, Division of Urology
Director, Prostate Center
Your life. To be continued.
© 2020 Maimonides Medical Center
Maimonides Prostate Center
745 64th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220